Winter Animal Adaptations Song

Winter animal adaptations has always been one of my favorite units to teach in kindergarten!

They find it so interesting, and it’s a great way to meet some science standards and integrate lots of literacy. I teach about hibernation, migration, camouflage, and other ways animals change to adapt to winter cold.

One of the most successful, fun, and downright adorable ways I’ve reinforced these concepts is through a little song I wrote, to the tune of “Sammy, I’m Glad I’m Me”

(Here’s a link to the YouTube video with the original tune)

My version is as follows (I have the kids do movements as well, which I’ll try and describe)

This is a story about bears (show pretend “claws”)

Winter was coming and they said

“I really don’t feel like getting cold (shiver)

So I guess I’ll adapt instead!” (Shrug)

And they said;

“Since I’m a bear I will hibernate, hibernate, hibernate,

Since I’m a bear I will hibernate, hibernate for the winter” (pretend to sleep)

This is a story about chipmunks (squint and make a nibbling motion)

Winter was coming and they said

“I really don’t feel like getting cold (shiver)

So I guess I’ll adapt instead!” (Shrug)

And they said;

“Since I’m a chipmunk I will hibernate, hibernate, hibernate,

Since I’m a chipmunk I will hibernate, hibernate for the winter” (pretend to sleep)

This is a story about butterflies (turn palms inward and hook thumbs together into a “butterfly”)

Winter was coming and they said

“I really don’t feel like getting cold (shiver)

So I guess I’ll adapt instead!” (Shrug)

And they said;

“Since I’m a butterfly I will migrate, migrate, migrate

Since I’m a butterfly I will migrate, migrate for the winter (make a “butterfly” again and flap up towards the sky)

This is a story about geese (flap arms)

Winter was coming and they said

“I really don’t feel like getting cold (shiver)

So I guess I’ll adapt instead!” (Shrug)

And they said;

“Since I’m a goose I will migrate, migrate, migrate

Since I’m a goose I will migrate, migrate for the winter (flap arms)

This is a story about rabbits (hold hands up like bunny ears)

Winter was coming and they said

“I really don’t feel like getting cold (shiver)

So I guess I’ll adapt instead!” (Shrug)

And they said;

“Since I’m a rabbit I will camouflage, camouflage, camouflage

Since I’m a rabbit I will camouflage, camouflage for the winter (wave hands in front of body)

This is a story about foxes (hold arm out at your side like a fox tail and swish it from side to side)

Winter was coming and they said

“I really don’t feel like getting cold (shiver)

So I guess I’ll adapt instead!” (Shrug)

And they said;

“Since I’m a fox I will camouflage, camouflage, camouflage

Since I’m a fox I will camouflage, camouflage for the winter (wave hands in front of body)

This is a story about walruses (hold two fingers pointing down from your top lip like walrus tusks)

Winter was coming and they said

“I really don’t feel like getting cold (shiver)

So I guess I’ll adapt instead!” (Shrug)

And they said;

“Since I’m a walrus I will get blubber, get blubber, get blubber

Since I’m a walrus I will get blubber, get blubber for the winter (puff out cheeks and hold arms out to your sides to suggest getting bigger)

This is a story about penguins (hold arms stiffly at your side and waddle)

Winter was coming and they said

“I really don’t feel like getting cold (shiver)

So I guess I’ll adapt instead!” (Shrug)

And they said;

“Since I’m a penguin I will get blubber, get blubber, get blubber

Since I’m a penguin I will get blubber, get blubber for the winter (puff out cheeks and hold arms out to your sides to suggest getting bigger)

How cute is that?

When to use this song;

Obviously, this should be part of a larger unit and integrated with reading, experiments, and other teaching tasks, but I have found it to be an excellent way to reinforce the concepts and vocabulary! It’s also great as

– A movement break

-A time filler (I have a great memory of my class performing the entire thing in the hallway outside the art room when the class before us was late to leave so we were waiting our turn to walk in. We also sang it while walking down the sidewalk for field trips!)

– for winter concerts, recitals, or assemblies!

How will you use the winter animal adaptations song? Leave a comment and let me know!

Really love singing with kids? Check out my list of favorite Song Books!

Want more magic in your life? Subscribe to our email list, follow Firefly Magic on Instagram or  Pinterest, like our Facebook Page or join my Facebook Group. an interactive forum where parents and teachers come together to discuss awesome activities for kids! Whichever platform you prefer, I look forward to sharing more exciting ideas with you!