*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. For more information about how affiliate links work, click Here*
Even though my boys are too young to grab at books right now, they’ll get to that stage soon, and having board books that they love will be so important! We love the books on this list because they have exciting rhymes that are fun to read, and the durable format means the boys will be able to enjoy them on their own in a few months!
- Train by Chris Demarest; Since “Firefighters A-Z” is basically my all-time favorite children’s book, when I found out that Chris Demarest has written this series of board books about transportation, I had to check it out! (You can also find ‘bus,’ ‘ship‘ and ‘plane.’) I love it because the words are simple with rhythmic rhymes that almost sound like a train chugging along when you read them (especially if you add sound effects- and I always do!). The illustrations have bright colors and these wonderfully chunky black lines that make them perfect for baby eyes! My only complaint is that this book is too short- I love it so much that I want more! (Get it!)
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr and John Archambault; okay, so this one is a classic and I’m probably not telling you anything you don’t know. But come on! A book where the letters are fun characters? What an early literacy win! Okay, personally I also love this book because I memorized it early in my teaching career so I don’t even have to look at the pages when I read it. Don’t worry! After your child demands to hear it for the fifty thousandth time you’ll probably develop that skill too! Enjoy! Find the board book on Amazon
- Moo, Baa, La La La! By Sandra Boynton; This one is another classic that we just can’t get enough of! It’s quick to read, it’s silly, and it has lots of fun animal sounds! Also, this is weird but I really like that you could flip the words on the third page around and they’d still rhyme (i.e. instead of ‘No, no, you say, that isn’t right, the pigs say oink all day and night!’ It could be ‘No, no, that isn’t right, you say, the pigs say oink all night and day!’). Not that you need to do that… but I like that you could. On the millionth repetition I’ve got to entertain myself somehow! Amazon link
- Jamberry by Bruce Degen; the words are kind of nonsensical, but they’re the most fun nonsensical words I’ve ever heard! The rhymes are great and the story just rolls off your tongue. I read it over and over, and after I’d memorized it, I recited it over and over as well! It never failed to get a smile out of my little guys. The illustrations aren’t super baby-friendly but they are really busy and when they’re older I’m sure they’ll enjoy looking at all the silly details. Jamberry on Amazon
- Two is for Twins by Wendy Cheyette Lewison; Obviously, I love this one because I have twins, but I’m sure you’d enjoy it even if you don’t! The words are SO catchy and the illustrations are super cheerful. There’s a great message, too, about how twins sometimes want to be the same and sometimes want to be different. get “Two is For Twins”
These books are some of our favorites but we’re always looking to expand our collection! What rhyming board books did your baby love?
For more ideas about ways to read with your baby check out This page
Want more magic in your life? Subscribe to our email list, follow Firefly Magic on Instagram or Pinterest, like our Facebook Page or join my Facebook Group. an interactive forum where parents and teachers come together to discuss awesome activities for kids! Whichever platform you prefer, I look forward to sharing more exciting ideas with you!